Saturday, September 26, 2015

Book Review: First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky

First Comes Love
by
Katie Kacvinsky
Genre: Young-adult, Contemporary, Romance
"The perfect love story to kick-start your summer reading."--Seventeen.com

Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl who is seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving, and besides, opposites attract. What starts as friendship turns into admiration, respect, and caring, until finally these two lone souls find that they are truly in love with each other. But staying in love is never as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it . . .


4star
"You're never going to experience anything if you wait around for perfect conditions. Look at the sky, Gray. It's gorgeous. It's perfect right now, and you're miss-ing it."
I felt like those words were directed to me.

Remember that time in college when you have to review for an exam, that you start highlighting important things in your book, only you ended up highlighting ALMOST every paragraph, sentence there is, because you're worried that you might miss something important? Something that might help you later on? Yeah, that was exactly what I felt when I was reading Love comes first. I felt the need to remember and absorb everything for life references later on.

Weird?


description

First Comes Love is light and refreshing read. There are reasons why contemporary romance is one of my least genres. Cliche, if I must say, but Katie Kacvinsky, completely caught me off guard. This is my first from her, although I have her other book, Awaken, on my TBR for like forever. If I ever had any doubt reading that book it's gone now. Katie's writing is lyrical, intense and simply mesmerizing. It's one of the reasons why I couldn't stop reading, I actually devoured it in one sitting!

Gray is a mysterious, anti-social, aloof person who gives out a go-away sign vibe anywhere he goes, ironically, this was the same reason why he somehow caught the attention of Dylan. Dylan who's a complete opposite of him. Dylan who live life to the fullest and Dylan who always see the best in people, a complete opposite of him who is just going on the day, living, just by the mere fact of existing, his way of guarding his heart if you ask me. Dylan is the most random person Gray have ever met and the least person he expected to change his life, for the better. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

Ever heard of the right love at the wrong time? Because that's exactly what this book is about if you ask me. Some may say this is too cheesy, hell, I would probably say the same thing, before... but this book just taught me quite a few things about love and relationship I've never had the pleasure of experiencing. Love comes first made me realize just how close-minded I was when it comes to relationship. I gave practical advises, I could see a way out right away, I thought I was being practical and realist, when in truth, I was being insensitive. I know now that it wasn't the best way to do it. That sometimes, we don't only have to put ourselves on their shoes, but we also need to live their life to fully understand them.

I didn't know if I made the book justice with this review, but all I can say is, this book is a bucket of overflowing feels. Hopeless romantic people will definitely love this book but realistic and practical people may find this overly cheesy for their taste. I'm inbetween, you see, depends on my mood, :) For me, the experience is exhilarating and refreshing and I love it!

Thank you so much to my friends for encouraging me to read this book despite my tendencies to shy away from contemporary romance!

Book Links:


What(Who) Do I Love: My husband. He is tall (essential) and brilliant (very essential) and funny (extremely essential). He is a fish scientist and I love hearing about his research even though the terminology goes over my head. I love my son, Kaleb, because he’s hilarious and my daughter, Sydney, because it’s hard to ever complain when I see her smile. I also love bacon. And dark beers.

The First Book I Ever Wrote: Was in third grade. It was titled: “The Book of Swear Words,” where I wrote down every curse word I could think of, along with a carefully crafted definition. I showed it to my teacher, beaming with pride. He sent me to the principal’s office and called my parents into school. I was banned from the playground for two weeks and my book was destroyed. It obviously didn’t kill my writing ambitions.

Author Links:
Website|Goodreads|Twitter


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)